Do you throw sticks for your dog to fetch and return to you?
You may want to reconsider after reading this Daily Mail article.
According to some veterinarians, splinters in your dog’s mouth from fetching sticks can cause them to choke, bleed to death, or develop a lethal infection.
Even if that DOESN’T happen, surgery to remove multiple nasty splinters can be thousands of dollars.
More serious or deadly injuries can occur if your dog runs full-tilt with their mouth open toward a stick you threw that got jammed in the ground.
Robin Hargreaves is the president of the British Veterinary Association, recommends “Never throw sticks for dogs. Even if you do it now, never do it again. It is a violent incident that causes real damage.”
It’s MUCH safer to use use fake bones, rubber balls, or Frisbees instead.